TechLurn (TL) is a place, where you can find the high-quality content like articles and trending stories from Science & Technology, Artificial Intelligence, Gadgets and Digital Marketing.
Mac OS Update Management Highlights:
- Users can disable automatic app and OS updates on Mac OS.
- It is possible to enable automatic downloads or update manually.
- This tutorial helps if you find updates interrupting your work.
Enabling automatic updates have become unexceptional on every operating system like Window, Linux & Mac OS. The benefits of automatic updates are you do not need to download manually to update apps and all critical security patches are downloaded automatically to your devices.
At any point we have got at least 8 apps open. Enabling automatic updates is convenient but not the best idea because apps have to be closed before installation can begin. That prompt tends to interrupt our workflow and we would rather not deal with it in the middle of the work.
let’s figure out how to guide for Mac OS Update Management.
- Click the Apple logo and open System Preferences.
- Select App Store. Now you will see some options dealing with automatic updates on macOS.
- To disable automatic updates, click on the tick mark next to automatically check for updates to uncheck it, which is checked by default.
- To enable automatic updates, click the empty box next to automatically check for updates. You’ll see a tick mark in the box now.
Mac OS Update Management options:
If you follow these steps, you will enable or disable the automatic checks for apps and OS updates. There are some other important options that let you choose when you want to download and install updates.
The 1st option is Download available updates in the background. This option is enabled by default and macOS automatically downloads all updates in the background and prompts you when updates are ready to install. Downloading updates in the background is generally a good idea but if you are using cellular data on your Mac, you might get big data bill. So think before you selecting the option.
The 2nd option is Install app updates and the 3rd one is Install macOS updates. If you check these both options, system will automatically install updates. Not just download updates. i do not recommend because this will interrupt your workflow and gives updates 1st priority.
The 4th option is Install system data files and security updates. This is also enabled by default and we recommend to be enabled always this option. This will update critical security patches to your Mac as soon as they are available, so it is best having this on at all times.
This article answers your questions around managing automatic updates on macOS. macOS also allow system to automatically install them when you are not using the machine. This option pops up as a notification to install updates when you are working, but you can snooze that and have the updates installed at night.