TechLurn (TL) is a place, where you can find the high-quality content like articles and trending stories from Science & Technology, Artificial Intelligence, Gadgets and Digital Marketing.
Removing unwanted/outdated content pages or URLs from Google index can be very beneficial for your SEO. If this is what you are after, thinking ‘how can I remove URLs from Google search?’ Here I am going to show you how to bulk remove URLs from Google index? This DIY guide will help all SEO’s and bloggers to remove indexed outdated content from Google search results all at once.
If it is one or a few links, its simple and Google webmaster tools will be fine for link removal. But, what if you are working on a big/old website with hundreds or thousands of pages and you got to remove a bunch of URLs at once? Whether it is because of outdated content or maybe it’s for some SEO issues, sometimes you will have to do this. Exactly for this purpose, this guide will help you to remove a large number of URLs at once from Google Index data. Let’s get started…
A Step-by-Step Guide to Bulk Remove URLs from Google Index:
Removing outdated URLs or unwanted pages of your website from Google index is now very simple. A simple Google chrome browser extension clear’s all the way to bulk remove URL’s from Google index using Google Webmaster Tools. Its simpleness and user-friendly interface will even be familiar for a newbie too. For reference, you can check below reference screenshot of Google webmasters tools, for any queries please comment below.
- Latest SEO Trends To Dominate The SERPs In 2018
- Best Free Website Technical SEO Audit Tools For Bloggers
- Top 5 Website Technical SEO Audit Checklist You Shouldn’t Neglect
How to bulk remove URLs from Google index?
Here I am going to show you a pro tip of Google Webmaster Tools. This will help you to remove URLs in bulk? You just need to download Chrome extension called Bulk URL Removal tool from Github. This Bulk URL removal tool is very useful for big websites and webmasters. This Chrome Extension may work without any issues.
How to install Bulk URL removal browser extension in Chrome?
- Download Google webmaster tools bulk URL removal master zip file from GitHub and unzip it.
- Go to chrome://extensions/ and turn on Developer mode.
- Click on Load unpacked extension . . . and load the extension.
- Finally, Select the unzipped folder and select ok.
- After install? A new extension will appear in Google Chrome extension.
- For reference check the below screenshot.
After installing bulk URL removal tool, log in to your Google webmaster tools account there you will get the new option to upload a text file with a list of unwanted URLs. For reference see the below image.
- 6 Essential Skills You Needed To Be Success In Digital Marketing
- 5 Digital Marketing Strategies To Make Your Start-Up Flourish.
How to remove outdated content from Google search?
After installing the URL bulk removal tool in Google Chrome, login to your webmaster tools and navigate to crawl errors to download the list of Server error, Soft 404, Access dined and Not found (404) URLs in CSV format.
After downloading the file copy all URLs and paste it into a text file and upload the text file to Google webmaster tools remove URLs section. That’s all URLs will be added one by one into webmaster tools to remove from Google index. See the below image for reference.
How to remove tags and categories directory from Google index?
Here is the simple way to remove already indexed tags and categories from Google index data by simply following these steps.
- Login to Google Webmaster Tools.
- Navigate to Remove URLs.
- Enter URLs for Tags and categories, examples are given below.
- For Tags select Remove Directory option and enter URL such as https://xyz.com/tag/ (Replace your domain name with XYZ). And hit continue.
- For Category, select Remove Directory option and enter your URL such as https://xyx.com/category/ (Replace your domain name with XYZ).
- Check the above image and below image for reference.
Bing URL Removal Tool:
As you Microsoft Bing is the second largest search engine in the world. Also, bing providing webmaster tools to submit sites to Bing search engine. In this tools, all futures are similar to Google search console. But there is no facility to remove bulk URLs in Bing webmaster tools. You remove URLs one by one with Bing Content Removal Tool.
Bing Content Removal Tool allows you to two type of content removal options:
- Remove Page.
- Remove outdated cache.
Note: Remove page allows to completely remove a specific webpage from Bing index. And, Remove outdated cache allows you to remove specific webpage outdated cache only.